How to find lost phone or Lodge an Fir….

Now a days Mobile phone is the basic need in life. The life has became more easier by Mobile pnone. But what if you  lost your Phone. Here are some points to be do after you lost your phone.


1. Find My Device (Android) or Find My iPhone (iOS)

Google has an in-built tracker in their Android OS. To use this, you need to have ADM turned on (which is the default setting) and allow it to permission to lock or erase your phone if you trigger it (which is turned off by default). Lastly, your phone needs to be synced to your Google account, and connected to the internet.

To use the tracker, simply log in to Find My Device on a Browser through your synced  Google account and choose the right device from the drop down list. It will automatically locate your phone and you can click a button to make it ring, lock it, or even erase all your data.


If you’ve lost your iPhone or iPad, the process is similar. While there is a Find My iPhone app on the iTunes store, you don’t actually need it installed to track your phone. The service is cloud-based, so all you need are a browser (or the app installed on a secondary apple device) and your login data. Just visit and login with your Apple ID. Naviagte to the “Find My iPhone button on your dashboard, and select your device you want to locate. This may take a little while, so be patient.

Once it shows your phone location on the map, you have the option to make the phone ring, in case you’ve just lost it around your house or workplace, activate “Lost mode”, or erase your data. Make sure you don’t jump the gun on that third option because, once you erase your data, Find my iPhone won’t work anymore.

Activating Lost mode lets you lock the phone and display a custom message with a phone number, allowing someone who’s found the phone a chance to contact you and return it. Lost mode also lets you reactivate location services in case it has been turned off. The important thing is that the thief can’t disconnect your phone from iCloud services, turn off Find My iPhone or erase your data, if you’re using iOS7 or higher. This is thanks to Activation lock, which only lets you do any of those things once you input your Apple ID password. However, they CAN turn off your data and WiFi, thereby negating the location service. However, since they can’t erase the phone or turn off location services, you can ask Apple to notify you the next time they go online (of course they will, they just stole a smartphone), so you don’t need to have Find My iPhone open all day.(I dont have an iphone so cant show you  the process picture).

2. Google Maps location history

You can use Google Maps to track your phone, in the event it is turned off or disconnected from the internet. All you need is to have Location Reporting and Location History activated on your device.

3. By installing Phone tracking apps available on google play store

If above two methods did not work you can install Some tracking apps from google play store. I am using Cerberus app for my Moto g5s plus.

Following are the major features of Cerberus Locate devices on map Start alarm Lock and Wipe data Take pictures of the thief Backup your data Android Wear support Remote Unix-like shell

Now the legal steps to take for finding your lost phone.

As some wise man once said “Prevention is better than cure”.  Please follow the below preventive steps to ensure you are ready when such an event occurs:

Know Your IMEI: Every mobile phone has a unique tamperproof identification number called IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity).

You know the IMEI number by dialing *#06# on your mobile phone.

Precaution is necessary, but it can only help you to be prepared. Here are the legal steps you can take:

Report loss of SIM card

File a Non-Cognizable Report (NCR) — Go to your nearest police station and file a NCR by submitting an application in the below format addressing the SHO.

Police Station Address


— — here mention the event like- time,area where you lost your purse/mobile etc… — -
— — list of documents and any other valuable things you lost — -

— -here request him to issue the NCR for the same. — -

— Write your address/name/mobile — -.

The Police will make a police diary entry and give you a stamped copy of the application with a DDR number.

Show this stamped copy and DDR number to the person at the police computer room and he will give you a printout of the NCR.

Submit a copy of the Non-Cognizable Report to your Telecom Service Providers like Airtel, Vodafone, etc. to get your existing sim deactivated and request issuance of a new SIM.

Contrary to popular notion, FIR is not required to get a new sim card issued, just the NCR is enough.

Lodge an FIR

As per an advisory issued by center to the states and union territories on 5 Feb 2014, registration of FIR for a stolen mobile phone is compulsory under Section 154 of CrPC.

Go to your nearest police station and request the inspector incharge to register a First Investigation Report (FIR). The officer is required to note down your FIR and give you an official copy of the same.

Keep your IMEI number and Purchase Invoice handy when going to register the FIR.

Registering an FIR also safeguards you from any misuse of your mobile phone or connection there on.

Finding your phone

Event 1: There was no theft

If you mobile phone was just lost or someone found it and submitted it to the police, the process is easier.

The FIR will be listed with the Ld. Metropolitan Magistrate and you will be required to show a proof of ownership i.e. a purchase invoice or a stamped and signed affidavit stating your phone’s IMEI number.

The FIR will then be cancelled and your mobile phone will be given to you.

Event 2: Theft

In case of theft, the police will register your phone with ZIPNET (Zonal Integrated Police Network) which helps track down stolen phones and also reach out to various telecom providers to locate your phone using the IMEI.

(If you are buying a used phone always search its IMEI on ZIPNET to ensure it is not registered as stolen)

If your phone is found, you will have to file an Application under section 451 of Criminal Procedure Code, 1973 before the Ld. Metropolitan Magistrate.

Related posts

Leave a Comment